Henri-Louis Pernod, who first distilled commercial Absinthe during the early nineteenth century in Pontarlier, France, used a wine alcohol base. He distilled the alcohol with herbs just like wormwood, fennel, aniseed, hyssop, angelica, lemon balm, star anise, juniper, veronica, dittany and nutmeg. Wine is the conventional base for Absinthe but a majority of distillers use other types of alcohol.
If you try to find Absinthe recipes online, you will notice that a lot of them include steeping blends of herbs in liquor just like Everclear, white rum or vodka.
Just how do you Make Absinthe at home?
Even though some recipes on the web are for distilling Absinthe, distillation of liquor without having a license is illegal in many countries and you also have to have the right equipment and you need to know what you are doing. So, are there any other strategies to making Absinthe?
– Steeping and Filtering – This typically involves steeping herbs for instance wormwood, fennel, aniseed, calamus root, star anise, mint, coriander seeds, cloves etc. for a few days or perhaps a couple of weeks within the neutral alcohol base and then filtering. Exclusively distillation will give you a true Absinthe, this will just provide you with an Absinthe flavored vodka.
– Using an Absinthe Kit – Most of the kits available on the web, much like the ones from Green Devil, are just steeping kits. They may be easier than obtaining and preparing your personal herbs but you are merely steeping the herbs in vodka again and creating a flavored vodka.
– Utilizing an Absinthe kit form AbsintheKit.com is a much easier and better way to make Absinthe from home. AbsintheKit.com create essences for the Absinthe industry and the essences are produced by distilling conventional Absinthe herbs in alcohol. The distillation is completed for you and all you have to do is mix the essence with vodka or Everclear and you have a real Absinthe drink.
The essences can be found in four different kinds:-
– Classic Green Essence to create a classic “verte” Absinthe having a thujone content of 35mg per bottle.
– Clear Absinthe Essence to create a clandestine La Bleue style Absinthe. This also has a thujone content of 35mg.
– Orange Essence to create Absinthe which has a twist. This essence will make a yellow-orange colored Absinthe which has a natural orange flavor and a thujone content of 35mg.
– Strong 55 Essence will make an Absinthe which has a higher thujone content (55mg) as well as a more bitter wormwood flavour.
You can get a 20ml bottle of essence for $3.95 to create one 750ml bottle of Absinthe or purchase a kit for $29 to make 14 bottles of Absinthe. A kit includes a handy plastic measure and 14 imaginative bottle labels. All you need to supply is the neutral alcohol base. Keep in mind that the alcohol content of your Absinthe depends on your alcohol base. Be cautious, drink Absinthe moderately because it is a substantially more powerful beverage than other spirits as well as fermented drinks.
What alcohol is use in Absinthe? A wine alcohol base or maybe a neutral alcohol which lacks a substantial taste of its own – Everclear, vodka or 151 rum.